Progressing, innovate, initiate
The Université de Rennes 1, whose roots go back to the 15th century, considers research and its development as a priority, as a distinctive brand that makes its reputation internationally and with companies.
At the forefront of knowledge, the institution is a leading player in lifelong learning. This role gives it a considerable responsibility towards society and makes it an essential driving force in the socio-economic and cultural development of the region.
The university relies on a culture of high standards, openness and innovation, embodied by quality training that leads its students to successful professional integration.
In France and abroad, we mobilise our expertise to meet the challenges facing society, such as digital transformation, sustainable development, health and safety, etc., by developing cooperative ventures to promote exchanges and enhance the value of research advances.
David Alis, head of the Université de Rennes 1 [Translated from French to English]
Six core missions
By its statutes, the university contributes to the accomplishment of the missions of the public service of higher education, which are
- Initial and continuing education throughout life;
- Scientific and technological research, dissemination and valorisation of its results for the benefit of society. The latter is based on the development of innovation, technology transfer when possible, the capacity for expertise and support for associations and foundations, recognised as being of public utility, and public policies conducted to meet societal challenges, social and economic needs and sustainable development;
- Guidance, social promotion and professional integration;
- The dissemination of humanist culture, in particular through the development of human and social sciences, and the development of scientific, technical and industrial culture;
- Participation in the construction of the European Higher Education and Research Area;
- International cooperation.