A training for everyone
The University of Rennes 1 has a long tradition of education.
Since 2004, it has put into effect the French reform arising from the Bologna declaration, the so-called LMD reform; LMD stands for Licence, Master and Doctorat, i.e. degrees granted respectively after 3, 5 and 8 years of higher education.
The University provides a great diversity of degrees and training courses in a variety of subjects and training formulae.
The University specializes in three main scientific areas:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Health (STS);
- Law, Politics, Economics, Management and Administration Sciences (SJPEG);
- Social and Human Sciences (SHS).
Today, the University of Rennes 1 organizes more then 550 degrees for students from their first year in higher education up to the Doctorat (doctorate) and HDR (post-doctoral degree).
Here are some of the national degrees granted by the University (to understand about French degrees, refer to the page Higher education in France):
- for those who do not hold the Baccalauréat: DAEU (diploma providing access to university studies) and Capacité en droit (certificate in Law);
- 11 DUT related to the secondary sector and 4 DUT related to the tertiary sector, granted in four IUT (Lannion, Rennes, Saint-Brieuc and Saint-Malo);
- maîtrises de sciences et techniques (MST);
- within the LMD system: Licences, Licences professionnelles, Masters recherche et Masters professionnels;
- two engineer's degree;
- professional degrees in health professions (medicine, pharmacy, dentistry);
- diplômes de recherche technologique (DRT).
In addition to national degrees, the University also offers some Diplômes d'université (DU) and Diplômes inter-universitaires (DIU), which are specific diplomas created by the University of Rennes 1. They are one of the mainstays of continuing education, notably for health professions. They also make it easier to explore new training directions and can later be turned into Licences professionnelles or Masters.
To know more about the degrees granted by the University of Rennes 1, please take a look at our provision of education and training.
Many training courses
The University also takes part in the preparation for many civil service examinations. Nationally recognized for its excellent success rate in such programs, it has always considered those training courses as its oldest vocational curricula.
The University provides progams in the following fields:
- Teaching, in partnership with the IUFM de Bretagne (Capes, Capet, agrégation);
- Public Administration.
Many training formulae
The University of Rennes 1 has a very diversified audience: new students, students in resumption of studies, foreign students, workers, etc. Thus it offers a variety of training formulae:
- initial and continuing education;
- formal education and accreditation of prior learning (VAE, validation des acquis de l'expérience);
- apprenticeship training;
- distance learning.
Need some more information to choose a curriculum and work out your educational and career plans?